Sky

Sky

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Moto Guzzi Griso

Having completed my short-list, I went first to have a go on the Moto Guzzi Griso, as I had found a shop in the area that had a demo bike that they were also selling. The first impression when seeing the bike was very good. The bike looks great, and the quality can be seen in all the little parts. Given that Guzzi is part of the Piaggio group since a few years, it is not surprising to find a number of quality Aprilia bits on the bike. I could recognize several parts from my brothers Aprilia Tuono, and it all felt very solid just like the Tuono. The seating is low, but it is a long bike and reaching for the wide bars feels a bit strange. You need to lean forward on it, but unlike my Corsaro where you still felt like you were sitting a bit in the bike, here you really feel on top of it. I get this image of somebody trying to break the land speed record in Bonneville from the 30’s by lying on the bike to be more streamlined, which is not particularly reassuring.



Punching the starter brings the engine to life, and a gentle blip of the throttle has the bike leaning on its side. Although a bit unusual, I like it! There are some vibrations, but not too much, and the sound reminds me a bit of my old Ducati. All good! It’s time to get out on the road.

The bike is quite heavy, and you feel it as you maneuver it around the parking, but as soon as you get on the road the weight seems to disappear. It is incredibly stable and easy to ride around with at low city speeds, even though I find the riding position a bit awkward and the length a bit unwieldy. Not only do you have this feeling of lying on top of it, but the tank also tends to spread your knees more than I like (yeah I know this all sounds pretty kinky!). Once on the open road it all works though, and it is incredibly planted in the corners. Like the Ducati ST2 I had many years ago, you need to have a firm hand when getting it in to the corner and down on an angle, but once there it is rock solid. I used to refer to this behavior on the Ducati as virile, and I always like that feeling. You have to properly commit yourself to each corner, but when you do you are properly rewarded. Power is good, but coming off the Corsaro anything is lacking in power a bit. However, since I specifically want less power than what I had before, this Guzzi seems pretty much spot on in this department.



Basically everything is good with this bike, and 10 years ago I probably would have bought one. It looks fabulous with an excellent build quality and ride. However, when I compare it to the Beemer it just kind of falls behind in every category. It is heavier, uses more fuel, is more of a handful in all conditions, and let’s be honest here, Moto Guzzi does not have the same reputation for reliability as BMW. Coming out of 15 years riding Italian bikes, I think I could use something different. No, I can safely say I would rather go without a bike this summer and wait for the BMW than getting the Guzzi for now. Besides, as much as the Corsaro was difficult to sell when I wanted a change, I am certain the Guzzi is no easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment