Sky

Sky

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Chapter 7: The New Mini

As luck would have, there would end up being several more Minis in my life.

By the end of the 90’s, the original design of the Mini dating back to the late 50’s was really reaching its limit. There had been some improvements done to the car over the years, such as an increase in the engine size in order to cope with more stringent emissions regulations, considerably improved brakes as well as increased wheel size from 10 to 12 inches. These all had helped extending its life, but clearly a 40 year old design was lacking in some crucial areas that had gained in importance, most notably safety. The Mini could no longer compete with modern cars when it came to protecting its occupants in case of an accident, and ultimately sales had dropped way down. It only made sense then that the production was finally halted in 2000.

However, by this time the car design and the brand name was owned by BMW. They had been looking at what VW had managed to do with the New Beetle, taking basically a modern Golf and designing a modern body that bore an obvious resemblance to the original Beetle. The market loved the cuteness of this car, and since underneath it was a fully modern and practical car, nostalgic buyers were picking it up. BMW however managed to take the concept a little bit further, with the huge success that we now know.

 This is the first BMW Mini, one I never bought

When the first New Mini was released by BMW, it was immediately a huge success. The looks of the original Mini were very well replicated, and the car was dynamically very well done. Appealing again to those (like myself) who were nostalgic of the original Mini, this car also created a whole new segment in the market; the premium small car with an original and individual design. More than just replicating original design elements, the New Mini provided a platform that allowed owners to get something much more original than the mainstream cars. Also, the quality of the car was undeniably BMW, and thus completely set it apart from other super-minis from Ford, Peugeot etc. People not needing a bigger car could finally indulge in a new level of refinement normally only found in much bigger cars. Since then, most European manufacturers have attempted to come out with their own version of this concept, but to date nobody has succeeded to topple the Mini from its pedestal.

BMW really got the Mini look right!

Personally when this new Mini came out, I was very excited and wanted to get one. I had more or less decided this, and so we took our original Mini and went to the dealer. Arriving there, and parking our Mini next to a new one, it suddenly struck me how much bigger the new one actually was. I felt it was a bit too much actually, but nevertheless continued to inspect the car. Well, in my opinion, the actual build quality of these first batches were not really up to what I expected from them. Yes, it was a nice car and the design successful, but since I didn’t really need a new car, it just wasn’t enough to convince me to buy one.

BMW then revisited their design a couple of years later, considerably improving on their first attempt. At this point they also had the intelligence of producing a Clubman version. Now in my opinion this modern Clubman is the best looking Mini that has been made so far. I absolutely love the looks of it, and can’t get enough of some of the design elements such as the dual rear-entry door or the extra ½ door on the passenger side. The interior maintains the huge speedometer, but has taken this to even another level. The extended chassis ensure a more stable ride than the normal Mini, but it still has that “go-kart” feeling to it, especially with the sports suspension package. I think the only thing that I can criticize is the mostly lackluster colours being offered, but then this is a result of the market.

This was shortly before we returned to Switzerland after living abroad for a few years. My employer at the time was offering me the option of getting a company car, but I was limited to selecting a Mercedes, BMW, Audi or a Volvo. Not that these companies don’t make nice cars, but they are just not cars for me. I am not much for luxury, and I hate big cars. Also, VWs and Audis are far too common around here, and I always liked something a bit more original. Then it hit me, Minis are BMWs! So, I asked if that would go, and luckily it did. So, I soon found myself at the dealer configuring my brand new Mini Cooper Clubman!

My Clubman!

I mentioned earlier that the colour choice was a bit limited, and so I ended up going for a blue/black metallic selection. This gave the car a lot of class, but I would have liked a more “fun” colour. I could have gone for the Cooper S version as well in order to have the more powerful engine, but the problem with this one is that it comes with an air-scoop on the hood that I feel totally ruins the look of the car. Given that this car was really for commuting to work with as well, clearly the extra power was not needed and would only result in a higher fuel consumption. I did get the sport chassis together with the largest wheels available, as well as a slew of other cool options. The result was a stunning looking car, that would always bring a smile to my face when I would drive it.

 I still think this is the best looking Mini to date

My Clubman with the Corsaro next to it


No comments:

Post a Comment