Sky

Sky

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Chapter 1: The Beginning

As I have mentioned, the first Mini that crossed my path, and started my life-long infatuation with this car, was my uncle Pider’s Mini back in the late 60’s. He had a cream colored Mini that was so typical at the time. Whenever he would come by with his car, my two brothers and I would run out to sit and dream in it. I bet we covered a lot of miles in our minds at the wheel of that Mini.

My uncle Pider in the trunk of his Mini

We were living in the south of Sweden at the time, and one day while my uncle was visiting we were going to go to Copenhagen for a day trip. My brothers and I had asked to get to ride in my uncles Mini, and so as soon as we woke up on the morning of our trip, we rushed out and installed ourselves in his back seat. It was so exciting to get to go in the Mini, and it wasn’t until we had all arrived in Copenhagen that my parents noticed we had not put on any shoes. In our excitement, we had barely gotten dressed before getting in the car.

So before we could begin visiting Copenhagen, eat red hot-dogs and go to Tivoli, we had to get shoes for the three of us. It didn’t take too long to find a shoe shop, and after a little bit of time we all had some shoes on our feet. I honestly don’t remember what my brothers got, but I got some awful sandals that were extremely uncomfortable to walk in after a couple of minutes. I am sure I said they were fine while in the shop, but I can assure you I regretted having sneaked in to the car without shoes for some time. I guess in the end the fact that we got to Tivoli, and had gotten a ride in the Mini, made up for any pain my feet had to endure.

I must have learnt a lesson that day as well as I have never gotten into a car without shoes on since…

My aunt Barbro showing off their Mini



No comments:

Post a Comment