Sky

Sky

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The Mini Series

For as long as I can remember, I have always had a passion for cars and motorcycles. It is a passion that if anything has continued to grow over the years, and my interest covers pretty much any car or bike. This passion obviously also extends to all kinds of motor racing, particularly since discovering the movie Le Mans as a little kid. Over the years I have been fortunate enough to be able to indulge in this passion by attending numerous races around the world, and I am extremely privileged to have been able to share this passion with my wife.

There is one particular car though that stands out in my life, and that is the Mini. There is no doubt about the fact that the Mini was the first car I fell in love with at the young age of 4, and this has never left me. Much can be said about this brilliant little car, but I honestly don’t know what it was about my uncle’s Mini that appealed to me so much as a kid. Other than designing an absolutely brilliant car, Sir Issigonis managed to provide it with a look that simply appeals to most kids still today. It has a friendly look to it, a trait it also shares with the VW Beetle. I suppose it is of little surprise that these two cars are amongst those that remained in production for the longest time. Today a car model may be replaced after three or four years, but the Mini in its original design remained in production for over 40 years, and the Beetle for over 60 years!

With half a century done, there have been quite a number of Minis in my life so far, and I expect there to be a few more in the coming years. Having written a fair bit about motorcycles previously, a topic I will no doubt come back to from time to time, I thought I would write an entry about each Mini in my life so far.

So following this entry, I will be unveiling The Mini Series!!




No comments:

Post a Comment